When selecting a new carpet, you have to ask yourself a few questions about the room use:
- How is the room being used?
- How much natural light is in the room?
- Is there heavy traffic in the room?
- Is the room the center of activity for family or entertaining?
- Is there direct access from outside?
Once you have answered these questions, you can move on to consider the colour and style of the carpet.
- How much use will the room get? This is a consideration because a heavily used room may not be the best for installing a very light coloured carpet.
- Are kids going to play down on the floor? Or the room doesn’t get much use? Lighter colours can create more maintenance.
- Is it a small room or a large room? Smaller rooms can be made to feel larger by choosing a light colour carpet, and a large room can feel more cosy with a darker coloured carpet.
- What are the natural lighting conditions of the room? Rooms with plenty of natural light will show the true colour of the carpet, while rooms on the south side of the house may need a lighter shade of carpet to keep them from feeling darker than they are.
You should also consider your drapes, furniture, wallpaper when you are selecting a new carpet. Remember that colour can also affect your mood. Warm colours make you feel more energized while cooler tones provide a sense of calm.